Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

In advance for Easter

No photos yet, but we've already started some things for our Easter basket - some new, some variations of things we tried last year.

First, we'll be doing Pink Pickled Eggs again, except this time with quail eggs!  These take 2-3 days to make, but we're starting them now.

Next is a cheese that will be new for our baskets.  I have a recipe for a type of Chevre de Provencal - goat cheese medallions preserved in olive oil, herbs and spices - that I want to try.  I'll be modifying the original recipe, since it has ingredients we don't want to use and others I just don't have.  This requires a week to make, so getting them done today is a priority.  If you want to give it a try, this is what our variation will be.

4 goat cheese medallions (a log cut into quarters)
     note: I got a larger log of goat cheese and will likely cut it into more pieces.
1 tsp peppercorns
4 garlic cloves
4 small bay leaves
4 sprigs rosemary
   thyme (I only have dry, so I plan to use about a tsp)
2/3 cup olive oil (I will be using tarragon infused olive oil)

Place medallions in a canning jar, or in individual jars.  Add herbs and spices.  Top with olive oil to cover. 

Seal and refrigerate for 1 week.

Once they're done, I plan divide them up for the several baskets we will be making this year.  I still have to figure out how to contain them, as the flavoured oil is useable for salad dressing and I want to make sure it's included.

The original recipe is Goat Cheese in Provencal Oil from Paul Gayler's The World in Bite Size; tapas, mezze, and other tasty morsels.

I hope to get some photos up in the next few days.

No comments: