Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Crossed Cables Mosaic Hat

I saw a display of some Bernat Mosaic yarn and instantly fell in love with the colours.  I limited myself to only one colourway, though, and bought two balls in Medusa.  Like most Bernat yarns, the prices was quite reasonable.  It's an easy care, machine washable and dryable acrylic that has a lovely, soft feel to it. 

DSC_6887crop50%

I made the hat a touch long, though not quite long enough to have to turn back at the forehead.  I was more concerned about covering the ears.

DSC_6888crop50%

Once again, this hat is a modification of my basic flat topped, straight sided hat, which I've found works well for all the yarn types and hook sizes I've experimented with.  I worked the crossed cables starting in the first side rounds without increases.

DSC_6890-50%

I love, love, LOVE the colour transitions in this yarn.  This hat took up one ball of yarn using a 6.00mm hook.

I would definitely recommend this yarn.  The price is quite good for a self patterning yarn - I paid under $6 a ball, and it has a wonderful feel to it.  The easy care is always a bonus, too - just the sort of thing for wearables that will see a lot of use.  I look forward to experimenting with yarn some more in other colourways!  I can just see this being used in a nice shrug or sweater.

No comments: