Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

Feature Friday: Loom knitting

A friend of mine has taken up loom knitting, and seeing her work, I'm definitely going to pick up a set of looms and try it myself in the future!  For now though, here are a few pieces from Laura, done on knitting looms.

If you've ever done corking before, you can knit on a loom, as it's the same basic principle.  Looms are available in a variety of shapes and sizes, and would be ideal for people with hand troubles that make knitting with needles painful.

Here's Laura's take on it.

"I picked up the loom knitting this past winter since I liked the IDEA of knitting, but didn't like dealing with two needles. I loved it instantly. I still consider myself fairly novice, but it's so easy to create things that I'd never be able to do with needles.





Hats are usually the first thing everyone tries because it just means knitting on the loom in the round, then picking up the stitches at the end and pulling them together with a piece of yarn.




 










 






After that, I started experimenting with mittens (I purchased a special loom for this) and scarves.











The scarf in the picture was made with Red Heart Pomp-a-Doodle yarn and with the way you can straight-knit on the loom, the pompoms never get in the way."









You can see some of Laura's other lovely items in her Artfire shop.

No comments: