Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

All tied up in knots...

I've borrowed the book, Wrap Style: Innovative to traditional, 24 inspirational shawls, ponchos and capelets to knit and crochet, by Pam Allen & Ann Budd (Interweave Knits) from the library. While flipping through it, I found a pattern called Twisty Turns that intrigued me. It was a knit project, done in a cable pattern. In essense, it's a long strip of fabric folded and twisted, then sewed together to form a wider fabric that looped together in the front.

I liked it, but there were two things against trying it out. First, I don't knit. Second, I don't like sewing seams.

After some thought, I figured there must be a way of doing it in crochet that wouldn't require sewing it together. A bit of experimentation, and I came up with the Knotty Wrap, which my daughter has been kind enough to model for me.

Here's 3 views of it for now.

Knotty Wrap, front

Knotty Wrap, side

Knotty Wrap, back

The wrap was made using some Bernat denimstyle in Chino. It's medium (4) weight yarn, 70% acrylic, 30% cotton, that's machine washeable and dryable. I love easy care fibres! :-D I was given 2 balls as a gift. Using a 5.50mm hook, it was just enough to complete this project, including the removeable leaf pin and the small amount of sewing I ended up doing. I was tempted to pick up a third ball to make it wider but decided against it, closing up the loops a bit, instead.

I will be posting more detailed photos, as well as information on how it was made, in a seperate post.

No comments: