Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Showpiece feature: Aboriginal embroidery

I've got a few projects I need to get photos of for here. For now, I'm going to start on a showcase feature. Every now and then, I'll post photos of some pieces I find truly exceptional for one reason or another.

As an amature photographer, my nemesis has been the Royal Alberta Museum. No flashes, tripods or monopods allowed, yet the Aboriginal Culture display has some of the most exquisite pieces of workmanship that I want to get macro shots of. It's not unusual for me to take well over 100 photos in that section alone, but only have a handful of good photos. Some, I can salvage with software.

DSC_6959-50%

Here is an infant's moccassin. It's one of a number of truly amazing embroidery pieces, all done in silk thread on leather. The leather for these moccassins is soft for babies, but there are moose hide coats covered in silk embroidery, too.

Click on the link for larger views. It looks to be done in buttonhole stitch, stem stitch and French knots. I noticed buttonhole stitch seems to be the most common stitch used.

No comments: