Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Blitz - Skully

Catching up on the last few days of my blitz. First, what is basically a crochet version of a toque (or tuque)



skully

Pattern: Skully
From: Get Your Crochet On: Hip Hats & Cool Caps by Afya Ibomu

Recommended yarn: worsted weight
Yarn used: Bernat Satin.
Hook: 3.75mm

Changes made: added an extra round to close up the top.

This hat, and several other projects in the book, uses the same shaping/sizing technique Mary Jane Hall puts to such good use in clothing in Crochet That Fits. After working the rows and seaming it into a tube, the top is closed up with reducing rounds of hdc. The instructions said 2 rounds, but I found that still left a rather large opening, so I did one more reducing round, then wove the tail end through to close it up tight.

The hat is light and comfortable, but took far longer to make than I wanted for my blitz. If I do it again, and I most likely will, I'll use a chunky yarn and larger hook.

No comments: