Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Product review: The Crochet Lite (TM)

Today I finally filled the 4.0mm gap in my crochet hooks. I would have preferred an aluminum hook like I usually use, but after looking in several stores, I just couldn't find any in this size. I'd been looking for a while and the only ones I could find were cheap plastic hooks that didn't have nicely rounded necks on the hooks. They had almost sharp edges.


I'm cheap, but I'm not that cheap, so I broke down and spent a bit extra to buy this. (click on photo for full size image. Other images available here.) It cost $5.47 at Walmart.

It's a novelty hook by Widget Products Inc. They make all sorts of items with lights in them, though in the stores locally I've only seen the knitting needles and crochet hooks.

As you can see in the photo, this is labeled as an F 4.0mm hook. In the pattern instructions I've been looking at that I bought this for, they called the 4.0mm hook a G. What I have at home in my aluminum hooks are an F/5 - 3.75mm and a G/6 - 4.25mm.

Which probably explains why I can't find the 4.0mm in an aluminum hook.

I've started up a project just to try it out, and I really like it. The yarn I'm using is a mohair blend with lots of loose hairs sticking out that could be easy to get hung up on. It hasn't been a problem so far. The hook feels comfortable in my hand, and it's smooth to work with. The only potential problem I see is that the switch for the light rubs against the palm near the outside of my hand. It's not a big deal for short stints with the hook, but I can imagine that spot getting rubbed raw after a while.

As for the light - it's cute and all, but it's not much use to actually work with, though the package says "Crochet anywhere ... Even in the Dark!" There's a bright light in the loops being worked on, which gets a bit harsh on the eyes, but it doesn't light up enough of the project to see the next loops that need to be worked into. It does look really cool in the dark, though. *L*

My conclusion: Although I didn't like paying extra to get the size I wanted (did I mention I'm cheap? *L*), I would say it was worth it. As cute as the light is, gimmicks like this are normally a reason for me NOT to buy something. The hook itself, however, is well made and comfortable to use. The design is quite ergonomic, though the cost is a little more than half the price of the ergonomic hooks I've seen.

I would definitely be willing to buy these in other sizes.

No comments: