Pages

Saturday, April 25, 2009

A bit of yarn p*rn

My elder daughter and I had a wonderful afternoon out today. We visited a yarn shop, had tea and went to the museum. That's our idea of a great time. :-D

I've discovered it's dangerous for me to go into a yarn shop, but I think that's a common problem. ;-) My daughter had something specific in mind, but I ended up indulging as well.

Splurge

The yarn in the back and on the left are my daughter's choices. The Noro yarn is 45% silk, 45% Kid Mohair and 10% lamb's wool. It's a 50gr ball at 100 meters. 4.5 - 5.1mm is the recommended needle size. She's asked her sister to crochet fingerless gloves out of it for her. They've had their heads together, working out the design, for some time now.

I don't know what she has in mind for the Grignasco Savana yarn. I was so tempted to get some of that for myself! The jewel tone colours in all of them are fabulous. This is an Italian yarn, 50gr, 65 meters, 41% polyamide, 30% virgin wool and 29% acrylic.

Instead, however, I got two balls of the Chiara yarn. The owner showed me a scarf knitted with it, and I couldn't resist. Even at the sale price ($9.99 instead of $14.99), it was far more than I intended to spend per ball. I just love the silvery dual-colour effect of it, and it's so incredibly light! A 50gr ball is 190 meters - which is 100 meters longer than the 50gr balls of silky soft bamboo yarn I've been stocking up on. It's 70% rayon, 20% superkid mohair and 10% plyamide, so it's also very durable.

I have no idea what to make with it. Even at 190 meters, two balls won't go very far. I'd like to do something more original than a scarf or hat. With such glorious feel, I'd like to make something wearable - but what?

I'll have to think on that. Ideas and suggestions would be appreciated. :-D

A Great Deal

And since I'm posting a bit of yarn p*rn, I figured I'd add these, too. These are actually a Goodwill find. There were 8 balls of the light coloured yarn in back, with 1 1/2 balls of the same yarn in aqua. They are Jaeger, Gypsy, 71% mohair, 13% will, 9% nylon and 7% acrylic. The balls are 25gr, but I don't see the length anywhere on the label.

The pink variegated yarn (1 ball only) in front is Les Fils Marnel yarns, Rainbow. It's 50 gr, 150 meters, 70% acrylic, 20% mohair and 10% wool. I have no idea what the peachy coloured yarn is - it's a partial skein with no label.

The whole bag of 9 full balls and 2 partials cost $4.99.

Quite a deal!

No comments: